1989-2018 Cummins 178/208 Towing Camshaft Kit (07-cc-24V178)
- 178/208 Camshaft (fits 89-2018 Cummins)
- Heavy duty pushrods (500-750 hp)
- 103 Valve Springs
- RPM Range: Idle-4000
- Drops EGT 200-300
- Better fuel economy 1-3 MPG+
- Increased bottom end power
- Quicker spool up
- Duration at .050″ of lift 178 Intake, 208 Exhaust
- If you live at high altitudes, operate at low rpm or are looking for the best efficiency possible, this cam will help you considerably
- For it to be “drop in” on a 12v you will need no more than .025″ piston protrusion and at least .055″ valve face depth with a standard head gasket and a 99 intake centerline. On a 98 – 02 24v you will need no more than .025″ piston protrusion and at least .038″ valve face depth with a standard gasket. On an 03 and up, it needs .018″piston protrusion and at least .038″ valve face depth with a standard gasket. If you do not meet the minimum requirements for piston to valve clearance, don’t worry, you can still run an oversize head gasket or cut valve reliefs.
- Although this is considered a drop in cam it is important to check clearances (You can use our clearance calculator to make it a little easier)
- We always recommend new lifters when changing a cam.
- low rpm efficiency
- any size turbo, large or small
- Meant for increased all around efficiency
To make sure that you have no issues during break-in, follow these few suggestions.
- Make sure that the cam has a Liberal amount of quality assembly lube applied
- DO NOT let the engine start without oil pressure
- When this is a new engine, be sure to put a liberal amount of assembly lube in the oil pump and prime the oil filter
- Be sure to change the oil after you have done your break-in procedure. When the filter and oil system are already primed, engine will get oil pressure much faster than if the oil is changed at the same time.
- Disconnect the fuel system and spin the engine with the starter until oil pressure can be read or until oil is coming out of the rocker arms.
- Do not let the starter run for more than 10 seconds at a time
- Once oil pressure has been verified, let the engine start and run for five minutes at 1200-1500rpm then shut engine down
- Adjust valves then you are cleared to abuse your engine. Enjoy the added airflow
- if you need to re-torque or “hot-torque “the head, do so before adjusting valves. Re-torqueing the head changes the valve lash setting, so it is important to set lash last.
Most orders are shipped 1-2 weekdays after an order is placed, depending on availability. Some products are shipped directly from manufacturers.
Not all products are stocked in house. Please check for availability as some products may be backordered.